Tuesday, January 14, 2014

What to wear to your PhD defense?



I’m trying to post a few of 2013 posts before January ends!

I had my dissertation defense back in June 2013 and deciding what to wear was an important decision. Attending my friends and colleagues defense sessions, I knew it is a pretty formal event. I had my qualifying exam experience to draw from, so I knew I will go with a jacket look. But what color? Should I go with a skirt suit or a dress or pant suits? Decisions decisions!
I had seen others go for total business formal and had worn their black interview suits, I had also seen friends go for a business casual look, shirt and slacks look; in a neutral color scheme. I had also attended defenses where the candidate had worn a blazer and button down shirt with jeans.

I decided to err on the side of formal, so I went with a black top and black slacks but since I had my reputation (as a dressed up and stylish type of grad student, OK, it was more along the lines of being a clothes horse, but why split hairs!) to maintain, I added an eye catching jacket in my favorite cobalt blue. High heels give me confidence, so they were a necessity and my tote bag had to hold my laptop and notes. I added a tiny lapis pendant which is also a favorite of mine and was small enough that didn’t distract from my presentation. 


Even now, remembering that outfit, I feel pretty happy about it. This outfit was comfortable and gave me a little confidence boost without being too outlandish or distracting for my audience or far from what I usually wear. I think I found a winner!

 Yup, that's the real me! An honorary appearance to celebrate getting my PhD! Yoohoo!

Edited: here are what I wore for my Qualifying exam and to my graduation ceremony.

No comments:

Post a Comment