Friday, July 24, 2009

Shopping or style?

Ok, this post is more ranting than anything else but I feel so misunderstood!
Sometimes ago a frenemy of mine was whining that she doesn’t have anything to wear and she is not happy with her wardrobe to the point of, “…and how can I go shopping with two children and a house to take care of?! I can’t waste hours shopping! I have things to do! Blah bala blah”
Now, was that a jab at me?! Yes, I admit I like shopping and my weekly shopping/window-shopping can be counted as my weekly exercise (at least 3-4hrs walking, bounce points for carrying shopping bags!). But do people like this gal think looking pull together is all about shopping? Style is about what looks good on you and what image you want to project. You can look quite stylish with a handful of well chosen pieces and on the other hand can have a huge wardrobe and look like a bag lady! (although I hear 90’s grunge/bag lady style is trendy again for Fall!)
And it is not about having new things. I like to wear my older items more. My favorite jean skirt and my go to white shirt are four years old (but still look new!). My casual jeans are 6-7 years old! It is about how you combine your pieces together and what color combinations look good on you. You can take an old well loved (and classic) piece and rework it into the trendiest looks.
Also style is not about how much money you spend. More expensive doesn’t usually mean more stylish. My favorite top this season is a $25 ruffled silk one from Heritage 1981 which I got lots of compliments on. I have worn it with formal skirts and casual ones, with wide leg jeans and with formal pants and with jackets, cardigans and anything in between and it always looks good.
So, instead of waiting for a wardrobe fairy godmother to perform an extreme makeover on you (and your wardrobe), go to your closet and check what you got. Look for well made classic pieces as your base and think of new combinations. It may take an hour but surly you can stop watching TV or have a shorter telephone conversation and spend a measly hour on yourself. Can’t you?!

No comments:

Post a Comment