Saturday, June 15, 2013

How I (finally) wore printed pants:

Back in April when I was still writing the main chapters of my dissertation, one Sunday afternoon, I decided to take an hour break and go bra-shopping. I knew what I wanted, double checking the Victoria’s secret catalog and website, so figured it would be an in and out excursion (including the 40 minutes drive to and from). I got to the mall and parked at the entrance as close to VS as I could to minimize distraction and temptation. I went in, found the bra and stood in the cashier line to pay for it. What I kept seeing was PRINTED PANTS… everywhere. Three women standing in front of me had them on, a few others still browsing were wearing prints and when I finally came out… I was seeing printed pants on three out of five women passing me. Ten steps out of the store and I made a decision. I always associated printed pants with older ladies and have resisted trying them on these last couple of years although they have become trendy from 2011. Maybe it is time to give it a try, yes? I headed first to Ann Taylor and then to J. Crew to try on printed pants. These stores had lots and lots of options, none of which looked good on my hourglass short-legged figure. To convince myself of not leaving any stone unturned, I went into Forever21 and looked for a pair of cotton printed pants. Lo and behold, the Shopping Gods delivered. These black Ikat pants fitted me perfectly and beautifully and the pattern looked good on me. The price was so low that I decided to get them in taupe as well. It is so hard for me to find well-fitting pants that whenever I do, I try and stock up!


My quick shopping trip turned into a three and half hours workout and then I was back in my closet trying to match the pants with tops. I have been wearing these pants a couple of times per week for the last two months and have been happy with the outfit I put together. I always match them with solid tops and keep to a similar color combination. Also I prefer my tops on the longer side with these pants and wear heels most of the time to avoid looking short. These are a few of outfits I put together with these pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment