Monday, August 6, 2012

Holy Grail of Style: Black Satchel bag

It seems impossible to find a black satchel that covers all the bases: casual but not too casual, roomy but not huge like a tote, goes with everything, light, structured but not stiff, have a detachable shoulder strap, from a good brand, have good quality, be reasonably priced… etcetera etcetera. And that’s not including the number of inside dividers and outside  pockets that some people prefer.
And it’s not only me who has trouble finding the right black bag. I can name three friends who consulted me in the last year and half about buying a black handbag. It’s a common problem, I tell you!
The answer: Keep looking my dears, keep looking and don’t leave a stone unturned. That means broadening your search from name brands to chains, checking websites, designer discount stores as well as department stores and in the meantime … SAVE! Yes, start saving for your dream black bag since there is a strong possibility when you find the ONE, it is going to cost a pretty penny.

My quest so far: I saw a Michael Kors ‘Fulton’ Satchel two years ago and (damn!) didn’t buy it. When I went looking for it, it had disappeared with no trace either online or in stores, not even in outlet stores. Then I decided on this Tory Burch 'Robinson' satchel at twice the cost of the last one… the reviewers however are criticizing the quality of the bag. Which means I kept looking and happen upon this Donna Karan New York (DKNY) Black ‘Saffiano’Leather Satchel. Unfortunately it is large and stiff. It also hangs funny when I tried the shoulder strap. So not the one! This week I am looking at this ‘Biennial’ medium satchel from J. Crew. It sounds perfect on the website, although I prefer to meet the bag in person, interview it and gets its measurement! That means a trip to the mall in my not so distant future. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment